The SCC Capital Equipment Committee invites you to apply for funds toward needed equipment to enhance your classes, programs, or department. A total of $250,000 will be awarded in FY16, with purchases needing to be spent and received before June 30th, 2016. These funds are open for all SCC employees to apply for. Careful consideration will be made to all applicants by the committee.
For this purpose, large capital equipment is defined as equipment with a per item cost of $5,000 or more and a lifespan of at least three years.
FY 2017 Timeline
- December1: Capital Equipment Application sent out
- February 1: Capital equipment Application Deadline
*Submit Applications to the Committee Chair: Stacey Hohenstein
- February10: Chair collects and reviews applications to distribute to committee members
- February 24: Committee Meets/Open Forum for Applicants (optional)
- March 1: President’s Approval of Equipment Requests
- March 3: Capital Equipment Committee Award Letters go out
- April 14: Capital Equipment Order Deadline
- May 1: Evaluation of AQIP Capital Equipment process
- June 30: Delivery deadline
To request funding to purchase capital equipment, faculty and staff should complete the following steps:
- Have a conversation with fellow faculty or staff in your department, as well as your dean or supervisor regarding equipment needs for your area.
- Complete the Capital Equipment Request form. Contact the Capital Equipment Committee Chair if you have questions.
- Obtain your dean or supervisor’s signature and recommendation on form.
- Submit the completed form to Capital Equipment Committee by published deadline.
- Attend Applicant Open Forum to discuss your project and answer any questions from the committee.
- If awarded, purchase equipment by the published purchase date to ensure on time delivery.*
Committee Review Process
Once all of the applications have been collected, the committee is responsible for the following items:
- Individually reviewing and rating the requests according to the published rubric.
- Attending the Applicant Open Forum to discuss requests with applicants, provide clarification, and ask questions. Including Perkins, Grants Office, and Foundation representatives in this process so as to strategically leverage other funding sources (if possible).
- Compiling a prioritized summary document that includes all requests, recommendations for approval, and rationale for these recommendations.
- Forwarding the summary document and recommendations to the president for final approval.
- Notifying all applicants as to whether or not their request was approved and providing rationale for the decision.
- Publishing the summary document on the Capital Equipment website to ensure transparency.
FY 2016 Capital Equipment Committee
- Stacy Hohenstein, Chair
- Barb Embacher
- Steve Mills
- Eric Weller
- Donna Sampson
Congratulations to FY15 awardees:
- Michael Broughten, Culinary Arts
- Jim Brady, Auto Service
- Laurie Oelslager, Paramedic
- Jay Stencel, Civil Engineering Technology
- Karon Metz, Dental Assisting
- Jay Winter, Auto Body
- Jay Schmit, HVAC
A summary of funded requests submitted can be found in this summary sheet.