South Central College will be the region’s leading institution for transitioning individuals into the college environment, educating students for technical careers, and building student capacity for future study through inclusive student-centered programs and services. The college will be a committed partner in the regional economy, helping individuals and organizations compete in the global marketplace.
South Central College provides accessible higher education to promote student growth and regional economic development.
- Foster a welcoming environment that cultivates a sense of respect and appreciation for differences.
- Provide educational options that prepare students for entry into the workforce, career advancement, and academic transfer opportunities.
- Offer student services and enrichment experiences that support academic success.
- Provide educational opportunities that develop our students’ ability to understand and evaluate personal, social, civic, and global perspectives.
- Deliver education, training, and consulting services for business, industry, and government organizations that help maximize productivity, profitability, and sustainability in a global marketplace.
- Promote the economic, cultural, and intellectual development of the community through collaboration with our stakeholders.
- Partnerships & Collaboration
- Marketing & Branding
- Holistic Learner Services
- Quality Education
South Central College…
- Recognizes the liberating effects of lifelong intellectual, professional, and personal learning.
- Honors diversity and inclusion by recognizing every person’s worth and potential.
- Operates with integrity in all interactions.
- Encourages open and honest communication that respects individual opinions.
- Values collaboration and believes that teamwork promotes unity and shared purpose.
- Embraces continuous improvement.
Institutional Core Competencies
SCC students who have completed a diploma or a degree of 45 or more credits will demonstrate:
Personal, social, and ethical responsibility
- Civic knowledge and engagement- local and global: Students will understand the richness and challenge of local and world cultures and the effects of globalization, and will develop the skills and attitudes to function as “global citizens.”
- Intercultural knowledge and competence: Students will recognize and understand the rich and complex ways that group and individual inequalities and interactions impact self and society.
- Ethical reasoning and action: Students will develop ethical and social responsibility to self and others, and will collaborate with others to address ethical and social issues in a sustainable manner.
- Foundations and skills for lifelong learning: Students will display an understanding of learning as a lifelong process through demonstration of a desire to learn, the willingness to apply learning to other areas of their lives, the ability to think and act independently, be willing to take the initiative to get projects done, and demonstrate the ability to reflect upon what has occurred and how it impacts the student and others.
Intellectual and practical skills
- Teamwork and problem-solving: Students will demonstrate the ability to work together cohesively with diverse groups of persons, including working as a group to resolve any issues that arise.
- Analysis and inquiry: Students will demonstrate an ability to analyze information from multiple sources and to raise pertinent questions regarding that information.
- Critical and creative thinking: Students will develop the disposition and skills to strategize, gather, organize, create, refine, analyze, and evaluate the credibility of relevant information and ideas.
- Written and oral communication: Students will communicate effectively in a range of social, academic, and professional contexts using a variety of means, including written, oral, numeric/quantitative, graphic, and visual modes of communication.