The Accuplacer course placement test is used to determine readiness for specific college courses. It measures reading, writing and mathematics skills and is used to assist you with the selection of appropriate courses to help assure academic success. The Accuplacer is not timed and immediate results are provided at the end of the test.
South Central College offers the classic Accuplacer and the Accuplacer ESL.
After acceptance to South Central College, students take the Accuplacer/Accuplacer ESL test prior to attending Advising & Registration and registering for courses.
New applicants and returning students must complete the Accuplacer unless you meet one of the exemption criteria:
- You have a Bachelor degree or higher
- ACT scores (Valid for 5 years)
- 21 Reading score to waive reading
- 18 English score to waive sentence skills
- 22 Math score to waive math
- SAT scores (Valid for 5 years)
- 500 Reading score to waive reading
- 500 English score to waive sentence skills
- 500 Math score to waive math
- Previous Accuplacer scores that meet placement requirements (Reading is valid for 3 years and Math is valid for 2 years)
- College level courses (100 or above) completed with a passing grade of a D or higher for the applicable Accuplacer subject area (Reading, English or Math course)
- Other college credit such as Advanced Placement (AP), College in the Schools (CIS) or Articulated College Credit (ACC)
Preparing for the Accuplacer
Free Study App - Click here to obtain an access code for a FREE study app that you can download. This study app features practice tests in Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, College-Level Math, Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills. The study app includes the following features:
- Sample Tests
- "Learn As You Go" feature that provides immediate feedback after each question is submitted and includes an explanation for the correct response
- Save your work-in-progress, and resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weakness
- 6 months of access
Other Accuplacer resources:
- Official College Board sample questions and practice assessments
- General Accuplacer Test Preparation
- Math Skills
After taking the Accuplacer, you will be given a copy of your test scores with information on which SCC courses you should be taking.
SCC students testing at another college: If you are unable to come to SCC, you may be able to take the Accuplacer at another college. To make this request, contact the Advising Office at 507-389-7220 and select option 4. A test voucher will be created for you.
Non-SCC students testing at SCC for a different college: If you want to take the Accuplacer at SCC for a different college, contact the college you will be attending to request a test voucher. After the voucher has been generated, schedule your test using the registration link above. Bring your test voucher and your student ID from that college to your test.
When retesting, you can choose to retest in one area or retake the entire Accuplacer test. You may not retest on the same day. Study resources are provided above, and if you need additional resources, please visit the South Central College library. After the initial Accuplacer test, there is a $10.00 fee payable to the SCC Bookstore prior to taking the exam. Please bring this receipt to the testing site when you plan to retest.
- All testing requires a photo ID. The Accuplacer will not be administered to anyone who does not have a valid photo ID on the day you intend to test. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Personal calculators cannot be used for the test. Accuplacer does provide the option of a digital calculator for questions that will require the use of one.
- Scratch paper and pencils are provided.
- All cell phone must be turned off and stored in a backpack, purse, jacket, etc.
- No children are allowed in the computer lab or left unattended outside during testing.
- Allow 2 to 3 hours for taking the test.