The Accuplacer is composed of un-timed, computer adaptive, multiple choice assessments in reading, sentence skills, and mathematic skills. The assessment determines which courses you are prepared to take at the time of the assessment.
You are strongly encouraged to study for the Accuplacer Exam. Depending on your major and how you score on the assessment, you may end up taking 2 semesters of college prep courses that do not count towards your degree. Test preparation, study web sites, practice exams, and other resources are provided below.
The Accuplacer assessment is NOT required for the following students:
- Applicants that have active Accuplacer assessment scores in the areas of Reading and Arithmetic from an approved proctoring site. Accuplacer Reading scores are valid for 3 calendar years and the Accuplacer Arithmetic scores are valid for 2 calendar years. Students applying to South Central College that tested at another location should verify that South Central College can access their scores by contacting the Admissions Office at (800) 722-9359.
- Applicants with an ACT subject area score of 21 in Reading and/or 18 in English and/or 22 in Math will be exempted from the corresponding Accuplacer subject area. The ACT must have been completed within the last 3 calendar years for Reading and English, two calendar years for Math. Official ACT scores must be sent from ACT to the SCC Admissions Office.
- Applicants with an SAT subject area score of 500 in the Reading, English and Math areas will be exempted from the corresponding Accuplacer subject area. The SAT must have been completed within the last 3 calendar years for Reading and English, two calendar years for Math. Official SAT scores must be sent from College Board to the SCC Admissions Office.
- Applicants with a college that identifies the following: Earned a grade of "C" or higher ("D" or higher from a Minnesota State system college or university) in a College-level (100 or above) English, Reading or Math class. The official transcript must be received at South Central College before we can review it for a possible Accuplacer waiver.
Please contact the Admissions Office at 507-389-7200 or 707-332-5800, if you have any questions or concerns about being waived of the accuplacer course placement exam or if you encounter problems when trying to register.
If you do not have a high school diploma or GED you will need to arrange to take the Ability to Benefit Accuplacer Exam with the Director of Admissions and Advising. Please contact the Admissions Office via the phone numbers provided above.
If you can't get to SCC to complete the Accuplacer there are other options.
If you live within the state of Minnesota, but far enough away that taking the test here is not feasible, it may be possible to take the test at another location. Other Minnesota State system colleges and universities will allow you to complete the Accuplacer exam at their institution even though you will attend SCC. Please contact the Admissions Team at (507) 389-7200 and we will create a Voucher for you to take the test at another location or we will help you with setting up distance proctoring. If you are using a Voucher make sure and provide this to the proctor at the time that you check in so that you get set up for the correct exam.
Accuplacer Course Placement Preparation:
Free Study App - Click here to obtain an access code for a FREE Study App that you can download. This study app features practice tests in Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, College-Level Math, Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills. The Study App includes the following features:
- Sample Tests
- "Learn As You Go" feature that provides immediate feedback after each question is submitted and includes an explanation for the correct response
- Save your work-in-progress, and resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weakness
- 6 months of access
Other Accuplacer resources:
Official College Board sample questions and practice assessments
General Accuplacer Test Preparation
Accuplacer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I interpret my Accuplacer scores and which courses I am prepared to take?
After you take the Accuplacer Exam you will be given a copy of your test scores, with information on which South Central College courses you should be taking based on the Accuplacer scores. You can review the score requirements and associated South Central College courses via the Accuplacer Placement Chart. If you have met with an academic advisor after taking the Accuplacer exam, and you still have questions about your Accuplacer score results, please contact our Admissions Team at (507) 389-7200.
How long does the Accuplacer assessment last?
The test is self-paced. Please allow at least two hours to take the test.
What do I need to bring when I am scheduled to test?
All testers are required to bring a form of photo ID (driver's license, school ID, passport, etc.).
Can I bring a calculator or dictionary?
An outside calculator is not allowed during testing; however, one will be available within the assessment if it is allowed in a particular section. Dictionaries and other materials are not allowed in the testing area.
When will I get my results?
Results are available immediately after testing. You can meet with an Advisor after testing to discuss your individual results.
Can I fail the assessment?
No. These tests assess your current skill level, not your potential.
How long are test scores valid?
Test scores for Reading/English areas are valid for 3 years and Math scores (starting with Arithmetic) are valid for 2 years from the date of testing.
Can I retake the Accuplacer?
The Minnesota State system does not have a retesting policy; however, SCC does allow retesting but strongly encourages you to take time to study before retaking the exam. When doing a retest, you can choose to retest in one area or to retake the entire Accuplacer assessment. You may not retest on the same day. Study resources are provided above, and if you need study resources beyond those provided above, please visit the South Central College library. After the initial Accuplacer exam, there is a $10.00/assessment fee which must be payable to the SCC Bookstore prior to taking the exam. Please bring this receipt to the testing site when you plan to retest.