Question: How do I know what my login information is?
Answer: Visit the southcentral.edu Current Students page and click on the SCC Login Guide link at the bottom of the page resource links.
Q: What do I do if I don’t remember my password?
A: Most South Central College resources use StarID for login (D2L Brightspace, email, campus computers, eServices, etc…). Reset your StarID password online through https://starid.mnnstate.edu/.
Q: How can I access my email?
A: Go the Current Students page from southcentral.edu and click on the SCC Email link. Follow the instructions to https://portal.office.com. You will need to know your StarID credentials to login.
Q: How do I forward email from SCC email account to my personal email account?
- You can do this through Office 365 https://portal.office.com/.
- Log in and click on the cogwheel icon in the upper-right corner.
- Then type "Forwarding" in the "Search all settings" field.
- When you enter the texto, click on the "Forwarding" link that should appear.
- Choose "Start forwarding" and enter your email address to forward to.
- Check the box to keep a copy of the emails, Click "Save."
- Also find these instructions here: http://southcentral.edu/images/departments/it/Office_365_e-mail_forwarding.pdf
Q: How can I get my email on my phone or other device?
A: When asked for an account type, choose “Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync” for most Android phones or "Exchange” for other devices including iOS (Apple) devices. You will need to use your StarID information and know your email address. More detailed information is in this PDF .
Q: How do I get logged in if my account is locked?
A: D2L Brightspace – The user has 6 failed login attempts before being locked out - accounts are unlocked in 5 minutes.
Email – After 10 unsuccessful sign-in attempts with an incorrect password, you will have to solve a CAPTCHA as part of the sign-in process. After another 10 unsuccessful sign-in attempts with an incorrect password and after you correctly solved the CAPTCHA, you'll be locked out for 15 minutes. Additional sign-in attempts with an incorrect password results in an exponential increase in the lockout time period.
Q: How long will my email account and MyFiles be available to me after I graduate?
- Email – Access to your South Central College email account will not be guaranteed beyond your last day of enrollment. If you are not enrolled in courses – you may not have continuing access to your email account. These provisioning rules depend on your student status.
- MyFiles – Access to your MyFiles is not guaranteed beyond 90 days of your last date as an enrolled student.
Q: How long will I have access to my classes on D2L Brightspace after I graduate or semester ends?
A: 3 weeks
Q: How do I check my print balance?
A: Log in to a campus computer, you will see your balance window in the upper right hand corner. You can renew your balance in the SCC bookstores by purchasing a print card in $5 increments.
Q: Can I get connected to print on campus?
A: No. You can only print from campus computers.
Q: If I need help completing a class assignment on a computer – can I ask the IT Help Desk for assistance?
A: The employees at the Help Desk are not experts in your class material or Microsoft Office. The Help Desk reserves the right to limit assistance to anything relating to a class assignment/homework.
Q: If I don't have a computer with me, how can I get to a computer on campus?
A: You can access a computer in our computer lab on the North Mankato campus Learning Commons Computer Center (51), North Mankato Library (20), Faribault Library (17), Faribault Student Lounge (2), Faribault 2nd floor hallway (2).
Q: Can I save my files and documents to a computer on the campus and access them when I come back later?
A: No. After you log out of a campus computer, restart it or shut it down, all your files will be lost. Save your work to your own flash drive, email it to yourself, save to MyFiles or cloud storage like OneDrive.
Q: How do I know if I am required to have a laptop for college?
A: This is dependent on your academic program. Programs may have specific software/hardware requirements in addition to the minimum requirements. Consult your program advisor for information on the requirements.
Q: How do I get on the internet/wireless with my device?
A: You can connect certain devices to the SCC Encrypted wireless network. Use this login information:
- Username: YourStarID
- Password: Your StarID Password
Q: How do I order Microsoft Office and other software through a student discount program?
- Microsoft Office is available through Office 365 for free while you are a current enrolled student with South Central College. Find instructions here: http://southcentral.edu/images/departments/it/documents/Office365DownloadInstructions.pdf
- Other software may be purchased through the SCC Bookstores.
Q: How do I keep my computer safe from viruses?
- Use your anti-virus program to scan your computer at least twice a month. Free antivirus software is available for download, for example: Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, ClamAv (Mac OS X). Windows 8 and 10 have a built in anti-virus - Windows Defender.
- Keep anti-virus software updated
- Refrain from visiting questionable sites, avoid downloading illegal music and movies (i.e. Limeware, Frostwire, etc.), and do not download malicious software or applications from unknown sources.
Q: How do I remove a virus from my computer?
A: Download the latest version of Malwarebytes here (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html). Once installed, a full scan should be run. If threats are found, remove these and run full scans until Malwarebytes no longer detects threats. You can additionally scan your computer with other free antivirus program, like Microsoft Security Essentials or Microsoft Defender to increase likelihood of virus removal.
Q: Can I drop off my personal computer for a repair at the SCC help desk?
A: No. SCC Help Desk will not repair personal computers. We can only try to provide directions and consult on what you should do when your computer is broken.
Q: How can I contact the Help Desk if I need help?
Q: How do I create a ticket with the Help Desk and what does that mean?