Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
Application for Student Aid
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step all students must take in obtaining student financial aid (grants, loans and workstudy). The application can be completed at www.fafsa.gov. This is the official website for Federal Student Aid. Any other websites may incur a fee to apply.
Make sure to select the appropriate academic year. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each academic year.
- Create an FSA ID. The FSA ID gives you access to the Department of Education’s online system and it serves as your legal signature allowing you to sign your FAFSA electronically.
- Your parents (if applicable) should also create an FSA ID, if their information is required on the FAFSA. The FSA ID will allow your parent to sign the FAFSA electronically.
- SCC's School Code is 005537
- SCC has a priority FAFSA application date of May 1st
- Apply for Admission to SCC. You must be admitted to SCC before we are able to determine financial aid eligibility for you.
Financial Aid Help Sessions
If you have questions or would like assistance with completing the FAFSA, or creating an FSA ID, please come to a Financial Aid Help Session at our North Mankato Campus.
Sessions are offered:
- Tuesdays at 2pm
- Thursdays at 10am
Please stop by the Student Affairs Office for the room locations.
Important FAFSA Tips
- Follow the directions completely. This is the best way to prevent costly errors. An application with errors can cause significant delays in the processing of your financial aid.
- Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the “Financial” sections of the FAFSA. This can be done for both students and parents. This tool links your tax return information into the income fields on the FAFSA. This saves you time in completing the FAFSA and reduces the chance that the school will need to collect follow-up information from you regarding your income. If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will need to closely follow the instructions when entering your income information into your FAFSA.
- If you have special circumstances you feel need to be addressed when determining your financial aid eligibility, please notify SCC’s Financial Aid Office.
- Use your FSA ID to sign your FAFSA electronically.
- Allow 5-7 business days for SCC to receive your FAFSA information after you sign and submit it.
- After SCC receives your FAFSA we will update your eServices account. Be sure to check your eServices account regularly.