Produce Global Results
Produce Global ResultsAgribusiness is one of Minnesota’s most important industries and provides a variety of related career opportunities. In order to help meet the needs of the ag industry and the career goals of ag students, South Central College has designed a number of ag-specific educational programs that prepare students to contribute to this industry based upon a well-rounded understanding of current ag concepts, innovations and trends. South Central College’s Agribusiness programs will provide you with this broad-based knowledge as well as provide you with specific instruction in your area of agricultural interest.
The teaching philosophy of the agribusiness faculty at South Central is an aggressive hands-on approach toward learning that puts students first. The faculty is not only concerned about your education, they are focused on providing you with the opportunities to learn and grow in order for you to succeeding ultimate employment and career success.
Many agricultural students go directly into the workforce after completing courses at South Central College or while other continue on with their education. Should you decide to transfer to a four-year college after completing your courses or program at South Central College, there are several options available to you. SCC has entered into several unique partnerships to help students transfer seamlessly into ag-related majors at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, University of Minnesota – Crookston and Southwest Minnesota State University – Marshall.
South Central College Agribusiness Department is dedicated to preparing college men and women for careers in agriculture. Agriculture is a diverse, challenging, exciting industry. It needs people who have a passion for the importance of the industry and are excited about the promising future it offers. SCC Agribusiness Department serves approximately 100 students from across southern Minnesota. The teaching philosophy of the agribusiness faculty of SCC is an aggressive "hands-on-approach" to learning. A goal of the department is students first and for each student to have success in gaining employment. At the 2004 National Agriculture Educators Convention, South Central College Agribusiness Program was named the National Region III "Outstanding Post-Secondary Agriculture Program.”
- Agribusiness Service Technician: Graduates from the Service Technician program are prepared to work with farm equipment, food processing companies, independent repair shops, trucking and bus companies as well as related diesel industries.
- Agribusiness Production: The Agribusiness Production program will prepare you for a career as a self-employed farmer or a farm manager.
- Agribusiness Service & Management: The Service & Management program will prepare you for a career with fertilizer and ag chemical companies, farm cooperatives, feed suppliers, grain elevators, farm service and supply centers, and other ag-related enterprises.
- Agribusiness Office Specialist/Manager: Individuals with this combination of skills can work in a variety of agricultural office settings including modern farm operations, ag lenders, implement dealers, farm and home retail operations and government agencies.
- Ag Chemical Applicator Technician: This program prepairs you for a position with farm cooperatives, fertilizer suppliers and herbicide companies.
- Professional Swine Manager: Develop skills and knowledge needed to lead a production using 21st century best practices.
- Viticulture: Grape production is expanding in Minnesota and this certificate program will address the establishment and management of vineyards. The program is offered in cooperation with the Viticulture & Enology Science & Technology Alliance (VESTA).
- Agriculture Education Technology: This “2 + 2” programs enable you to complete your first two years at South Central College and then apply your earned credits toward a four-year degree in Ag Education at the University of Minnesota, either at their Twin Cities campus or on the U of M – Crookston campus. SCC also has a similar articulation agreement with Southwest Minnesota State – Marshall. Credits may also be transferable to other colleges as well.
- AgSPARK Agronomy: This quick-start program helps people with interest in the farming profession get started.