Map Out a Challenging Career Path
Earning a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) certificate from South Central College will give you an extended learning experience in geographic information systems. After earning this certification, you will be armed with the knowledge necessary to work in a number of capacities within the civil engineering industry. These advanced skills will either get you on your way to working in an exciting, growing industry or provide you with additional technical skills that will help propel your career forward.
The Geographic Information Systems certificate curriculum focuses on learning the fundamental GIS skills required by hiring agencies. These skills include the collection, management and analysis of specific spatial data, the creation of maps, GIS data development and managing mapping data for web applications.
Although the GIS software user certification is often just associated with making maps, Geographic Information Systems professionals can do much more than that. A GIS career can include responsibilities in numerous, varied industries such as:
- Urban and Regional Planning: Architects, engineers, scientific researchers, managers, technical consultants, local government officials, GIS analysts.
- Environmental Resource Management: Environmental scientists, specialists, and health specialists.
- Surveying and Cartography: Surveyors, cartographers, photogrammetrists and mapping technicians.
Professionals with Geographic Information Systems skills can also work in business development, managerial positions and administrative capacities
South Central College Credentials:
The Geographic Information Systems Program at South Central College Includes:
- Introduction to GIS Instruction
- Intermediate Instruction in GIS
- Field Mapping with GPS
- Remote Sensing
12 credits of coursework is followed by either four credits of internship, practicum or either of these in combination with an Associate of Arts Capstone or First Year Experience class.
|Region||2016 Jobs||2021 Jobs||% Change||Median Hourly Wage||Median Annual Wage|
|SCC Surrounding Area||30||33||9%||$26.99||$56,139|
GIS Grads Placed*
GIS Grads Continuing Education+
* Percent of graduates available for employment placed in related occupation
+ Percent of graduates continuing their education