South Central College offers both the Nursing Assistant (CNA) course and the Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide Competency Test. This site offers further information on both the course and the test-out.
The 4-credit course meets federal and state criteria for eligibility to take the state test to become a NAR and HHA. It introduces concepts of basic human needs, the health/illness continuum and focuses on preparing the student to safely perform basic nursing skills needed to function as a Nursing Assistant or Home Health Aide.
Click here to view the fees for 2013 - 2014.
Steps to search for the Nursing Assistant (CNA) course:
To view upcoming dates for the Nursing Assistant course, individuals may go here to search for classes. From that link, individuals should select a campus that is most convenient for them (either Faribault or North Mankato). Once the intended campus is selected, individuals will be taken to a search screen.
At the search screen, ensure that the intended semester is selected: Fall, Spring, or Summer. Then go to the “Subject” category. Scroll down from the drop-down arrow and select “Nursing-Nursing Assistant (HCTC)" to view the Nursing Assistant courses offered. Once the correct subject is selected, click on the “Search” button. A selection of class times and dates will be visible to choose from.
Register for the Nursing Assistant (HCTC 1886) course:
Individuals may register one of two ways for the Nursing Assistant (HCTC 1886) course.
- Register as a "visiting student". Click here to view this form.
- Students may also take the Nursing Assistant course as part of their educational plan as a degree-seeking student. To become a degree-seeking student, please go to our admissions website to begin the admissions process. Click here to be directed to the Admissions website.
- For specific questions on registration for this course, students may contact the Registration Department at 507-389-7250.
Certified Nursing Assistant Test-Out:
Upon completion of the course, students will be well-prepared for the Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide Competency Test through the state of Minnesota. To become a Certified Nursing Assistant, students must take this state exam. Registration for the exam is done through the Center for Business and Industry department at our college.
For further information on the test-out, including dates, fees, etc., please choose one of the following links:
Nursing Asst./Home Health Aide Competency Test
The competency evaluation test for Nursing Assistants and Home Health Aides meets state and federal OBRA requirements.
You are eligible to take the examinations for certification as a nursing assistant or nursing assistant/home health aide in Minnesota if you qualify under one of the following routes:
- NA CANDIDATE: You have completed a state-approved nursing assistant training program. You must take the NA written and skills evaluation tests.
- NA/HHA CANDIDATE: You have completed a state-approved nursing assistant/home health aide training program. You must take the NA/HHA written and skills evaluation tests.
- TEST-OUT CANDIDATE: You are a candidate who does not meet any of the other eligibility routes listed above. Examples are:
- if you were trained in another country
- if you have not taken a nursing assistant program
- if you have not worked as a nursing assistant in the last two years
- if you are from another state and do not qualify for reciprocity in Minnesota
- if you are a student nurse or graduate nurse candidate. You must take the NA written and skills evaluation tests.