Article I ~ Name and Purpose
This committee shall be known as the South Central College Safety Committee.
The South Central College Safety Committee shall serve the South Central College community as an advocacy and review panel for all safety, security and emergency preparedness issues as they relate to the Strategic Plan under the governance of the Office of the Vice President of Finance and Operations of South Central College and/or the Office of the President of South Central College.
The responsibilities of the South Central College Safety Committee include, but are not limited to the following:
- Critically review reports or instances of property damage accidents and personal injury accidents for corrective actions that will facilitate a safe working environment. The corrective actions identified shall be acted upon by the Security & Safety Director.
- Review reports of alleged hazardous working environments and forward recommendations to the Security & Safety Director.
- Support and promote efforts by South Central College to create a safe work and learning environment.
- Review, revise and recommend safety policies to the Administrative Team of South Central College.
- Review Security concerns and recommend actions as appropriate related to South Central College.
- Review Emergency Preparedness concerns and recommend actions as appropriate related to South Central College.
Article II ~ Membership
Membership will be representative of South Central College employees. Members will include the Vice President of Finance and Operations, Security & Safety Director, Maintenance Supervisors from Faribault and North Mankato Campuses, Administrative Team, Faculty (primary focus from technical, medical, laboratory sciences, and others with a concern for safety), Staff ( primary focus, Center for Business and Industry, Technology Services, Human Resources, Student Academic Support Center, Student Life, MAPE membership, AFSCME membership).
Appointments and Terms
This committee is a standing committee. As such appointments have no term limit. Appointments to the committee shall be with the approval of the Vice President of Finance and Operations for South Central College in conjunction with The Security & Safety Director. Persons serving on this committee shall continue to serve until such time as they request to be removed, leave the employ of South Central College, or are asked to step down from the committee by the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
South Central College Safety Committee members may submit names of potential members for the committee. The appointments are made official by the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
Section A ~ Officers and Their Duties
Two South Central College Safety Committee officers will be determined:
1) Chairperson and 2) Secretary
These officers will hold their positions indefinitely or until such time as they request to be removed, leave the employ of South Central College, or are asked to step down from the committee by the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
The Chairperson shall:
- Be the Security & Safety Director unless otherwise appointed by the Vice President of Finance and Operations
- Be sensitive to the views of the members
- Be able to listen critically
- Exercise good judgment and fairness and be reasonable
- Be able to work closely with the South Central College Safety Committee members and delegate tasks as appropriate
- Formulate meeting agendas and be well informed about the agenda items and how the items relate to the purpose of this team
- Be willing to invest time and energy into the South Central College Safety Committee
- Preside at the meetings of the South Central College Safety Committee
- Appoint special committees as the need arises, which may include persons other than regularly serving team members
- Encourage a relaxed atmosphere conducive to productive discussion
- Lead discussions, keep the team on track, and bring closure on key points of discussion
- Utilize the AQIP quality improvement decision factors
- Report minutes of South Central College Safety Committee to System Office
The Secretary shall:
- Be determined by the Security & Safety Director in conjunction with the Vice President of Finance and Operations
- Act as the communication liaison between the South Central College Safety Committee and the college community as needed
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Chairperson and the South Central College Safety Committee members
- Keep records of the attendance of members at meetings
- Keep a record of discussion and recommendations
- Assist with maintaining a permanent record file of South Central College Safety Committee activities and membership
- Assist with distributing minutes of South Central College Safety Committee meetings and copies of other documents to team members and others who may be concerned or affected.
- Upload the minutes to the college website. The Secretary shall have the assistance of the Administrative Assistant for the Vice President of Finance and Operations who sits on this team and the use of college facilities in performing these functions
- Be willing to assist the Chairperson of the South Central College Safety Committee in preparing for meetings, including room reservation, report generation, and other correspondence as needed/requested
Section B ~ Meetings
The South Central College Safety Committee will meet regularly during the calendar months of September, November, January, March, and May from 12pm to 1pm. This meeting will encompass both campuses at one central meeting date and time. Additional meetings may be scheduled per the direction of the Security & Safety Director or the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
Invitations to meetings will be sent out to all committee members, with details provided pertaining to the Agenda and any supplementary information. The primary form of communication will be electronic (email and attachments).
The South Central College Safety Committee will strive for a consensus when making decisions. In a case where reaching a consensus becomes a challenge, a straw poll will be conducted and discussion will be encouraged. If the Chairperson decides that a consensus does not appear to be possible, a vote will be taken and any proposal must have a two-thirds majority to be approved.
Section C ~ Evaluating the South Central College Safety Committee Effectiveness
The South Central College Safety Committee will evaluate effectiveness at each meeting according to the AQIP quality improvement decision making model by querying the committee as to:
- What quality improvement activities did we address today at the meeting
- What processes are we improving based on our decision
- What data did we use in making our decision
Goals and objectives as appropriate for the academic year will be formulated at the first regular meeting of the academic year, utilizing the previous year’s safety programs and initiatives as well as the previous year’s AQIP evaluations.
Section D ~ Bylaw Changes
These bylaws may be amended or added to by two-thirds vote of active members at any regular or special meeting, with appropriate written notice to all members.