Purpose: In accordance with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board Policy 3.8, a student has the right to seek remedy for a dispute or disagreement through a complaint or grievance procedure.
Applicability: This policy address a student’s right to seek a remedy for a dispute or disagreement through a designated complaint or grievance procedure. South Central College (SCC) encourages students to use available informal means to have decisions reconsidered before filing a complaint or grievance.
- The Student Complaints and Grievance Procedure does not supersede existing college or system policies or procedures that include an appeal or grievance process, such as an grade appeal or a discrimination or harassment complaint.
- Upon completion of the Student Complaint process, and if the complaint is not resolved, students have the ability to submit a formal grievance with South Central College.
- No retaliation of any kind will be taken against a student for participation in a complaint or grievance. Complaints and grievance procedures are protected under data privacy rights.
- Complaint. A verbal or written claim concerning a college issue alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment.
- Grievance. A written claim raised by a student alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary action by an employee involving the application of a college or board policy or procedure.
- Retaliation. Retribution taken against a student for participating or not participating in a complaint or grievance. Retaliation of any kind is prohibited.
- Student. An individual or group of individuals enrolled at South Central College.
List related policies, procedures or plans here:
- SCC Complaint/Grievance Procedures
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board Policy:
- 3.8 Student Complaints and Grievances Policy
- 3.8.1 Student Complaints and Grievances Procedure
Date & Subject of Revisions: November 18, 2016