Purpose: The purposes of this policy are the following: to establish guidelines for the appropriate use of the incomplete (I) grade; to identify criteria for the request of an incomplete grade; and to clarify deadlines for completion of incomplete work.
A student may initiate a request for an incomplete grade in the event that extraordinary circumstance prevents completion of the course. Assignment of the incomplete grade is at the discretion of the instructor. The following criteria must be met before an incomplete grade will be assigned:
- The student has attended a majority of course meetings and completed a majority of the coursework requirements.
- The student must be passing the course at the time of the incomplete request. All remaining work must be completed by a mutually agreed upon date by student and instructor, no later than the end of the next fall or spring term (whichever is sooner).
- The request for incomplete must be submitted on the Incomplete Grade Request Form, signed by the instructor and the student, and submitted to the Academic Dean's Office. Instructor will assign the grade of "I" online when submitting all grades.
- Refer to Incomplete Grade Request Form for due date and grade options.
- The student shall not re-register for the course while completing the remaining work.
- If the remaining work is not completed by the end of the next fall or spring term, (whichever is sooner), the "I" grade changes to the grade of "F."
Date of Final Approval / Policy Adoption: May 8, 2015