Purpose: Regulation that sets a reasonable maximum class size for all instruction at the college.
Applicability: The MSCF Master Agreement MnSCU (2011-2013) Article 11 (Work Assignments), Section 1. (All Teaching Faculty Workload Provisions), Subd. 11. (Class Size) states “The administration at each college shall establish, through shared governance council, a regulation that sets a reasonable maximum class size for all instruction at the college. Once the regulation is established any change must be considered through the shared governance council at least one (1) semester in advance. However, by mutual agreement, between the college president (or designee) and the State MSCF, the one (1) semester notice for changing class size may be waived. There will be no intentional enrollment beyond the maximum class size unless agreed to by the MSCF and the administration. Under exceptional circumstances as determined by the affected faculty member, an instructor may admit two (2) additional students per section.”
List related policies, procedures or plans here (if any): MSCF 2011-2013, Article 11, Section 1. Subd.11
- South Central College’s procedure for initial class maximum for each course begins at the department level with consensus among all Unlimited Full-time and Unlimited Part-time faculty members, in collaboration with the academic dean.
- When courses are submitted to faculty shared governance for approval, courses should be submitted on the Class Maximum Request Form. (form can be found at http://southcentral.edu/shared-governance/shared-governance.html)
- MnSCU credential field information can be obtained from Human Resources or the MSCF seniority roster. (MSCF seniority roster can be found at http://southcentral.edu/hr-a-college-relations/resources-a-forms.html).
- Instructional Cost Study information can be obtained from any of the following: Research, Planning & Grants Office, Vice President of Finance & Facilities, or Deans Office.
- All Unlimited Full-time and Unlimited Part-time faculty members with the appropriate MnSCU credential to teach the proposed course and the academic dean must sign this form. It is the responsibility of the faculty proposing the course class max to secure all required signatures.
- For courses with no Unlimited Full-time and Unlimited Part-time faculty members, Unlimited Full-time and Unlimited Part-time faculty members from the particular division shall work with the academic dean for course maximum.
- The Deans Office will forward the completed form to the Office of the Vice President of Student & Academic Affairs. All steps must be completed two weeks prior to the Shared Governance scheduled meeting.
- The Vice President of Student & Academic Affairs verifies the faculty credential information and instructional cost study data by initialing the appropriate area on form.
- The Vice President of Student & Academic Affairs will forward this completed Class Maximum Request Form to Shared Governance Council for discussion and vote at the meeting.
- Placed on the Shared Governance Council meeting agenda for discussion and vote.
- Forward to the Office of the President for approval.
- Approved class maximum request(s) will be forwarded to the Registrar by the Office of the President.
- Class maximum requests not approved will be returned to the faculty originating the request for necessary correction by the Office of the Vice President of Student & Academic Affairs.
Date & Subject of Revisions: January 30, 2015; Shared Governance Approved