Situations may arise in which academic dishonesty occurs, as defined below. The faculty member who encounters instances of academic dishonesty will submit a report of alleged student misconduct to their academic dean (blank Academic Dishonesty Report form can be found here).
- Academic Dishonesty - includes misconduct associated with the classroom, laboratory or clinical learning process. Some examples of academic misconduct are cheating and plagiarism.
- Cheating - includes, but is not limited to, (a) use of any unauthorized assistance in taking quizzes, tests or examinations; (b) dependence upon the aid of sources beyond those authorized by the instructor in writing papers, preparing reports, solving problems or carrying out other assignments or (c) the acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a member of the college faculty or staff.
- Plagiarism - Plagiarism is intellectual theft and includes, but is not limited to, the undocumented use of information—paraphrase or direct quotation—from the published or unpublished work of another person or source; plagiarism also includes using papers/writings from an agency engaged in the selling of term papers or other academic materials.
Process: When faculty encounters an incident of academic dishonesty they will submit the reporting form to their academic dean which details the alleged incident, and provides evidentiary documentation. Violations will be tracked in the dean’s office.
Sanctions: If a violation of the code for academic dishonesty is established by a preponderance of evidence the following sanctions will apply :
- For the first violation: the faculty member will impose sanctions which could include, but are not limited to, a written notice to the student, grade adjustment, additional academic assignments, or course failure. The student will be informed in writing of the evidence and sanctions, and will be provided with a copy of the academic dishonesty policy.
- For the second violation: Failure of the course in which the academic dishonesty occurs, and the student will receive a written reprimand from the dean which becomes part of the permanent student record.
- For the third violation: college expulsion-permanent separation of the student from the college will be imposed upon the approval of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.