SCC Alumni Network News
News and events that make us proud to be members of the SCC community.
Resume tips - provide your best tips to students in the comment section
In today’s competitive job market, it is important to have an excellent resumé to be noticed. While most people have an idea of how to create a resumé, few know how to write a resumé well. Here are some tips and techniques that should be consider as you write a fantastic resumé.
- Personal Information: Include your name, address, and contact information. Use larger font (12-14), center and bold at top of page.
- Body of Resume’ – use a common font style, size 10 or larger.
- Objective: Usually a sentence stating the type of position and environment you are seeking.
- Work Experience: List any work experience you have had beginning with most recent information first. Use a bulleted format for easy reading and begin each bullet an action verb. You may include the organization, dates of employment, description of duties and any accomplishments or you can summarize your work experience and skills omitting the organization and dates. Remember that work experience can include an internship, apprenticeship, and clinical experience.
- Licenses and Certifications: List any current licenses, certifications or training.
- Education: List education institute and degree earned with highest degree listed first. If you have a college degree, there is no need to list high school information.
- Volunteer Activities, Organizations and Interests: List any volunteer or organization work. Be sure to include any officer positions held to illustrate leadership skills.
- Reference Page: List 2 or 3 professional references (no family) on a separate page. Title the page “References” and type your name in the right side of page. Remember to contact your references and ask for permission to use them as a reference. Include their name, title, company, and contact information.
- Other resources, such as https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/564/01/ can be helpful as well.
- To assist you in finding a great opportunity, another resource is the South Central College Job Bank (www.southcentral.edu/jobbank). The South Central College Job Bank is easy to use. Alumni can search for jobs by location, employer or job type. Below are the login instructions:
- Visit the website: www.southcentral.edu/jobbank
- Register as an Alumni (right side). Click Register
- When the registration is complete, you will receive a Job Bank Email Verification. Click on the link to confirm your email address. Then Career Services Registration will email a link to create you password.