SCC Alumni Network News
News and events that make us proud to be members of the SCC community.
Students Tell a Great Story
SCC has so many amazing students! Just a couple weeks ago, SCC celebrated the Spirit of Achievement, and we were wowed by a video created by our fantastic students (and their instructors) in our Multimedia Technology program. Here is a link to the SCC video featuring students, alumni, and faculty (it's only 3 ½ minutes).
We also celebrated the achievements of students.
Specifically, we named the 2014 SCC Distinguished Student of the year, Jeremiah Kuehne. Technically, Jeremiah is a 2013 SCC alum with an Associate in Arts degree. Jeremiah graduated with that degree two weeks prior to his high school graduation as he began attending SCC in his junior year of high school. Jeremiah returned to SCC to enhance his education and acquire a technical skillset through the Multimedia Technology program to pursue his dream of being a filmmaker. Jeremiah has been a leader and true friend among his fellow SCC students. He inspires others to do the best work they can in and out of the classroom. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he has tremendous energy. Additionally, he is heavily involved in church service projects and activities in the Faribault community. Jeremiah was presented the Starfish Award in honor his achievements. Welcome to the Alumni Network, Jeremiah!
- Martina Akem – Martina is the first female child from her village in Cameroon to go to school. Exiled to the USA, Martina decided to pursue marketable skills and chose to study to be a Medical Lab Technician. Martina works in a group home and is a valued member of the library staff on the Faribault Campus. She and her husband are raising 4 school-age children with the same value of education and work ethics.
- Alan Farah – Alan spent most of her childhood in a refugee camp in Kenya, and moved to the US when she was in the 7th Grade. She spoke very little English, but by the time she was a Senior she was tutoring others in English and Science. Alan currently volunteers at the Somali school on weekends, and she will complete her Associate in Nursing Degree next spring.
- Kandice Heenan – Kandice demonstrates dedication to her education and service to others. She is a fantastic writer, and has shared her talent as a writing tutor on campus. Kandice is pursuing an Associate in Arts degree, but already has a global perspective as she recently traveled with SCC to South Africa.
- Angela Kimes – Angela is a positive role model for other students in the Accounting program and will be graduating this fall. During her tenure at SCC, Angela has been active in the campus organization of BPA (Business Professionals of America) and during the 2012-13 year served as a state officer. Angela is a volunteer at the volunteer income tax assisting site through MN Valley Action Council and by the way, she started an animal rescue shelter.
- Mallorie Malenke – Mallorie has been a student worker in the graphics and marketing department for over a year. In fact, she was the designer of many of the print materials for the Installation of Dr. Parker. She has been active in campus life activities such as Skills USA and will be representing SCC at the national competition later this summer. She also volunteers as a trumpet player in her church and for the Waseca community education program to name a few. We are proud to have Mallorie as one of our soon to be Graphic Communications graduates.