06 February 2013
Approximate Travel Dates: May 29 - June 9, 2013
Application Deadline: February 28, 4 p.m.
South Central College (SCC) has partnered with Carl-Severing Polytechnic in Bielefeld, Germany, to create a student exchange program to build educational, cultural and global awareness. Students from Carl-Severing visit Minnesota in the fall while SCC students visit Bielefeld in early summer. Five SCC students will be selected to participate in this learning opportunity and will receive a Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship that will cover a significant portion of the trip expenses. In return, SCC will ask the students to serve as good will ambassadors when Carl-Severing students visit during fall 2013 and to make several group presentations on both campuses and to several service organizations and business partners.
Students will travel with an SCC instructor, stay with a host family for approximately ten days, spend time at Carl-Severing, and tour Bielefeld and its surrounding communities.
Qualifying students must be enrolled at South Central College full-time and have completed a full semester with a GPA of 2.8 or higher and intend to enroll at SCC in fall 2013. An application and the names of two references will be required.
The Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship amount for this travel opportunity will cover most of the travel costs including air fare, housing, land travel, most meals, and entrance fees to sites and events. Students who are selected for this scholarship will be expected to contribute $500 plus the cost of a 1-credit travel class (to be taken during summer term).
Students who receive this scholarship will be expected to do the following:
- Enroll in a 1-credit travel course beginning for summer 2013. (Cost: approximately $170)
- Pay $500 for costs not covered by the scholarship (of which $250 must be paid within ten days upon notice of selection).
- Participate in the trip from about May 29 to June 9, 2013.
- Secure a valid U.S. passport by April 15, 2013.
- Serve as a good-will ambassador to students who visit from Carl Severing during fall 2013.
- Present (as a group) on the North Mankato and Faribault campuses during fall 2013.
- Present (as a group) to 3-5 selected service organizations (such as Rotary) and/or industry partners.
- Provide feedback about the travel program.
Qualifying students must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled at SCC for at least one full semester
- Intend to continue at SCC during fall 2013
- Grade Point Average of 2.8 or higher
Selection will be based on the overall quality of the application.
Deadline for application: February 28, 4 p.m.
Students are expected to type their responses and submit a copy of the completed application to:
Jane GreathouseSouth Central College – Room C167
1920 Lee Boulevard
North Mankato, Minnesota 56003