Graduation is the official confirmation of the completion of all degree, certificate, or diploma requirements, as maintained on your degree audit report, and is recorded on your official transcript, both of which are administered by the Registrar’s Office.
Commencement is a formal event, held annually in May, to celebrate and recognize the milestone of completing (or anticipated completion of) a program or degree for a respective group of students. Participation in commencement is encouraged but not required and does not confirm completion of degree requirements. Commencement activities are facilitated by the Commencement team. Led by the offices of the President and the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
Applying for Graduation
South Central College students should apply for graduation in the final semester of meeting the requirements for a certificate, diploma or degree. Students may apply online. Questions regarding the graduation application may be addressed to the Registrar’s Office.
The honors designations and respective cumulative GPA required for each are as follows:
- Honors: 3.3-3.49
- High Honors: 3.5-3.79
- Highest Honors: 3.8-4.0
Upon completion of all college requirements, diplomas/degrees are mailed to graduation application addresses in approximately 10-12 weeks.
Commencement 2023 will be held at the Bresnan Arena in the Taylor Center on the Minnesota State University, Mankato campus. The date of the ceremony is Thursday, May 11, 2023 when we will recognize Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023 graduates. The ceremony will begin at 4:00 p.m. – doors open at 3:00 p.m. The ceremony is free and open to the public.
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022 - North Mankato reception for fall 2022 graduates with President
- Thursday, December 8, 2022 - Faribault reception for fall 2022 graduates with the President
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023 - Deadline to nominate a student speaker
- Friday, March 31, 2023 - Deadline to apply for graduation and be included in the spring 2023 Commencement Program
- Friday, April 14, 2023 - Deadline to order cap and gown
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023 - North Mankato reception for spring and summer 2023 graduates with the President
- Thursday, May 4, 2023 - Faribault reception for spring and summer 2023 graduates with the President
- Thursday, May 11, 2023 - SCC Commencement Ceremony
Receptions with the President
Fall 2022 Graduates are invited to a reception to celebrate their achievements and receive information on the process of graduating and the Spring 2023 Commencement ceremony. A celebration will be held on the North Mankato Campus (Heritage Hall) from 9-10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7. A celebration will be held on the Faribault Campus (Event Center) from 9-10:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8. A Continental breakfast will be served at each event.
Spring and Summer 2023 Graduates are invited to a reception to celebrate their achievements and receive information on the process of graduating, pick up their cap & gown, and receive information on the Spring 2023 Commencement ceremony. A celebration will be held on the North Mankato Campus (Heritage Hall) from 8:30 -10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 3. A celebration will be held on the Faribault Campus (Event Center) from 9:00 -10:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 4. Continental breakfast will be served at each event.
Participation in Commencement
Student Speaker Nomination for Commencement 2023
To nominate a student (or self-nominate) who is graduating Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023 AND attending the May 2023 Commencement, please complete the form below between November 1, 2022 and March 15, 2023. Nominations will be reviewed in late March and a student speaker selected in April 2023. Criteria include academic achievement, community involvement, and obstacles overcome. SCC does not select the student speaker based solely on grades but is instead looking for a student who is a good speaker with a compelling story and who represents our diverse student body.
Accessibility at Commencement
Past Commencement Information
- Commencement 2022 Ceremony Video
- Commencement 2022 Photo Gallery (download for free or order prints)
- Commencement 2022 Program
- Commencement 2021 Photo Gallery (download for free or order prints)
- Watch the 2021 Virtual Commencement Ceremony
- 2021 Commencement Program PDF
- 2021 Outstanding Alumni Bios PDF
- 2021 Alumni Faribault Campus: Katrina DeYoung-Harper Video
- 2021 Outstanding Alumni North Mankato Campus: Brian Mayo Video
- 2021 Commencement Message from Devinder Malhotra
- 2021 Commencement Message from Minnesota State Board Chair Jay Cowles