As part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the federal government established the Higher Education Relief Fund, which enables colleges to distribute emergency assistance grants to students. These grants are intended to cover eligible expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic based on specific criteria.
CARES emergency assistance grants are intended to cover costs related to the cost of attending college, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care.
Most SCC Spring Semester students who meet specific criteria are qualified to receive emergency assistance grants. Those NOT QUALIFIED include students registered for all online courses, receiving a tuition waiver or have a third party paying for their tuition (e.g. employer), corrections students, apprenticeship students, high school/PSEO students and Farm Business Management students.
Total Funds to be Distributed
South Central College has received $936,741 from the CARES Higher Education Relief Fund to be distributed to the student through CARES emergency assistance grants, which are being distributed as follows:
- 80% ($ 749,393) will be used for CARES Direct Distribution Grants to a total of 1,450 students, with 75% ($562,044) allocated for 965 Pell-eligible students and 25% ($187,338) allocated for 515 Non-Pell eligible students.
- 20% ($187,348) will be designated for CARES Emergency Fund Grants. See the “Methods of Distribution” section below for more information.
CARES Direct Distribution Grants
These grants will be provided to qualified students automatically based on 2019-20 federal financial aid records. Students meeting the criteria to receive these grants will be sent letters indicating their grant amount and should receive their grants before the end of the Spring Semester. These funds will be distributed based on the number of credits taken in the Spring Semester:
- 935 Pell Eligible Students will receive the following grant amounts totaling $562,044:
- 55 students with 12+ credits will each receive: $733
- 168 students with 9-11 credits will each receive: $550
- 164 students with 6-8 credits will each receive: $367
- 538 students with 5 credits or less will each receive: $183
- 515 Non-Pell Eligible Students will receive the following grant amounts totaling $187,349:
- 25 students with 12+ credits will each receive: $437
- 87 students with 9-11 credits will each receive $328
- 96 students with 6-8 credits will each receive: $218
- 307 students with 5 credits or less will each receive: $109
CARES Emergency Fund Grants
These grants will be available to qualifying students who need assistance with unforeseen expenses. This fund has a total of $187,348 in available grants that can be distributed throughout the next year to students impacted by COVID-19. Eligible unforeseen expenses include food, housing (e.g. rent), utilities, course supplies and materials, textbooks, testing fees, technology (computer purchase, internet service), health care, child care, and transportation (e.g. automobile service, public transportation). This fund includes $187,348 in grants that can be distributed throughout the next year to students impacted by COVID-19. Students can apply for these funds using an online application that will then be reviewed with students receiving a response to their request within 48 hours. Click Here to Apply.