Provide clear and consistent practices for accepting transfer credit to SCC.
Transfer credits are those attempted or earned at another college or university.
- The student must complete the SCC Admissions Process.
- Official college transcripts must be received from every previously attended college or university. A high school transcript or GED is also required.
- After the college sends notification of acceptance for admissions, and just prior to the on-campus orientation, submitted official transcripts will be evaluated for transferable equivalency.
- The Transfer Coordinator will consult Transferology and TES (Transfer Evaluation System) regarding other institutions’ evaluation of the transfer credit.
- The Transfer Coordinator will consult with faculty members to complete a comparison of course outcomes. If the course meets at least 75% of the outcomes of a similar course at SCC, the course will transfer as equivalent to an SCC course. Documentation of which outcomes are met/not met in determining whether 75% equivalency has been met will remain on file in the office of the Transfer Coordinator.
- Upon evaluation of transferable credit, student may review their electronic record for outcome. The college will provide to the student a copy of their revised South Central College Transcript or DARS Report indicating courses that transferred to meet program requirements.
- The student is responsible for verifying that all transcripts have been received and should notify the college if they believe that additional coursework should be evaluated.
- Additional supporting documentation may be required (e.g., course syllabus, course description, common course outline) to support a request to transfer college credits.
- Successful transfer credit decisions will apply to all future course transfer credit requests.
Transfer Appeal Process
Any appeals of the transfer evaluation must use this process:
- Meet with the Transfer Coordinator to provide clarification of the transfer evaluation. If the student is not satisfied with the result of this meeting, she or he may proceed to the next step.
- Submit a written appeal (using the Transfer Course Evaluation Appeal Form) to the SCC Appeal Committee regarding the result of the transfer. The Committee (Dean of Students Affairs, Academic Dean, and Registrar) will examine what courses have been completed and make a final determination on the transfer evaluation.
- An appeal at the Minnesota State Level is available if the college level appeal is not successful. Information can be found at Transfer of Undergraduate Courses, Credit, Associate Degrees and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum http://www.minnstate.edu/board/procedure/321p1.html.
List of Related Procedures or Policies
- 3.21 Undergraduate Course and Credit Transfer and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum policy (System)
- 3.21.01 Transfer of Undergraduate Courses, Credit, Associate Degrees and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum procedure (System)
Date of Last Review: 12/14/18