To establish a student complaint process
Informal Complaint Process
A student is encouraged to discuss or submit a complaint directly with the college employee (s) whose actions give rise to the complaint and/or with the supervisor to whom the employee(s) report(s) in order to clarify and/or resolve the complaint.
Formal Complaint Process
If no resolution can be reached in the informal complaint process between the student and staff member, the student may complete the SCC Student Complaint form. If a student is unable to complete this form, they are encouraged to seek assistance from Student Affairs.
If a complaint is submitted, it will be designated to a reviewer within two business days.
- Academic complaints (grades, program requirements, faculty concerns, etc.) will be routed to the appropriate academic dean.
- Business operations complaints (tuition, parking, building and grounds) will be routed to the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
- Student Affairs department complaints (Admissions, Financial Aid, Registration, Advising, Academic Support, etc.) will be routed to the Dean of Student Affairs.
- Student Code of Conduct and Academic Dishonesty complaints will be addressed in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and Academic Dishonesty policies (see related policies).
- Other complaints will be routed to the appropriate supervisor.
After designation, the student will receive a response from the reviewer within five business days. If the complaint cannot be resolved with the reviewer, the student may proceed to the written grievance procedure.
Students who believe they have not received fair treatment or a suitable outcome may file a written grievance with the Vice President for Student and Academic Affairs.
Upon verification that the requirements of the formal complaint procedure has been followed, the Vice President will refer the grievance to the SCC grievance committee.
- Membership of the Grievance Committee consists of:
- Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Representatives include: faculty members selected from a list of volunteers on file with the Vice President and will not be from the program in which the student is enrolled
- Staff representing the appropriate college departments
- Affirmative Action Officer or designee.
- The grievance will be reviewed at a grievance hearing within ten (10) days (days when classes are in session) of receiving the grievance.
- The complainant and respondent will be allowed to appear and have third party representation at the grievance hearing. Third party participants will only play an advisory role.
- The Grievance Committee will review all relevant facts presented by the parties listed and will issue a written majority decision on its findings to the complainant, respondent, and President of the College.
List of related policies or procedures
3.08 Student Complaints and Grievances policy (System)
3.08.01 Student Complaints and Grievances procedure (System)
3.06 Student Conduct policy (System)
3.06.01 Student Conduct procedure (System)
3.0601 Student Code of Conduct policy
3.0601.0001 Student Code of Conduct procedure
Date of last review: 12/14/18