The South Central College Bookstore provides the following products and services:
- Used and new textbooks, workbooks, lab & lecture packets
- SCC insignia items (apparel, giftware, gift cards)
- School supplies (notebooks, paper, pens, backpacks, etc.)
- Postage stamps
- Prepaid copy cards
- Snacks & beverages
- An online web store to purchase textbooks, supplies, and apparel
Agency and Financial Aid Charges
To ensure a successful start to your semester, all required textbooks should be purchased on or before the first day of class. Financial Aid will be disbursed after classes start, so plan to use your own funds to purchase your textbooks. In the event you are unable to provide your own funding for textbooks, you may charge them to your student account in the Bookstore if you meet the following:
- At South Central College, a student ID card is required at the time of the charge.
- The student must have a current FAFSA on file with South Central College.
- If another company or organization is paying for your textbooks, an Authorization Voucher must be on file in the Bookstore before you can charge. Agencies include: Rehabilitation Services DRS, Minnesota Valley Action Council (MVAC), Minnesota Workforce Center, Minnesota Department of Economic Security Trade Act Training (TAA), and Veterans Benefits (VETS). Any of these types of charges need to be done in-store and cannot be done online.
- If a student is using NELNET/FACTS plan to pay for tuition and is enrolled in that program seven days before school begins, they may use these funds for textbooks also–see policy on the SCC website.
- All bookstore student charges are allowed during a limited period each term. (Typically, the Monday before the term begins, through the second week of the term.)
Getting your textbooks is easy. When you come to the bookstore, just check-in at the counter and let us know you are a PSEO student, we will verify your schedule, and assist you in getting your required materials. All supplied textbooks, packets, kits, and other consumables are given to you at no charge, but you are responsible to return them to the Bookstore at the end of each semester. Any unreturned or damaged items will be billed to your student account.
Textbook returns are allowed through the second week of the Fall and Spring terms. A receipt is required for all returns. We cannot accept returns after the second week of the term to ensure all charges are put on student accounts prior to the first Financial Aid disbursement. Please check with the store for summer session return dates.
New textbooks must be in excellent condition for a full refund. Written in, highlighted, or damaged books will be refunded as used. Opened textbooks with access codes and/or software are not returnable.
Textbooks purchased from the bookstore website may be returned for a refund with the shipment’s receipt less any shipping charges. Items may also be shipped back to the bookstore, postage prepaid with the original receipt. Please notify us within 5 days from receipt of your order if there were any items damaged during shipment or if there were any discrepancies.
General Merchandise Returns
All merchandise must be in the same condition as purchased and in unopened original packaging with original pricing. Clothing should not be washed or worn. Software and Electronics must be returned unopened. All general merchandise should be returned within 7 days with receipt.
General merchandise purchased from the bookstore website may be returned for a refund with the shipment’s receipt less any shipping charges. Items may also be shipped back to the bookstore, postage prepaid with the original receipt. Please notify us within 5 days from receipt of your order if there were any items damaged during shipment or if there were any discrepancies.
Defective general merchandise can be returned or exchanged within 7 days with receipt.
A check will be issued for those purchases paid for with cash, unless allowable by college policy. A check will be issued for those purchases originally paid for by a personal check, but will not be issued until at least 14 days after date of purchase. Purchases over $100 cash will also be refunded in check form. Purchases paid for by a credit card will be credited back to that card. Student charge purchases will be credited back to the student account.
Book Buyback Information
It is a priority of the Bookstore to shelve as many used books as possible to assist with lowering the textbooks costs for students. The South Central College Bookstore offers a book buyback at the beginning and end of each semester in an effort to obtain books for the following semester. Listed are questions and answers regarding buyback.
When does Buyback occur?
Buyback occurs during finals week of each semester and the first week of classes. Summer buyback dates will be determined after the evaluation of summer course offerings. Refer to the bookstore website for dates and times, or around campus.
Online Book Buyback
The South Central College Bookstore offers a year-round online book buyback program through the campus store’s website. More details on this program can be found under the textbooks tab.
What determines if my book will be bought back?
There are many factors that determine whether the Bookstore can purchase your textbook. They are as follows:
- An instructor has chosen the book for the upcoming semester and the book is the most current edition.
- The Bookstore has a need for additional inventory to fill an instructor request. If the Bookstore does not have a need for a particular book, a used book vendor may purchase the book for use at another college store. They will pay according to the current market value if one exists. Old editions usually have zero value.
- The condition of the books such as excessive highlighting, torn/missing pages, permanent writing, missing pieces (CD’s, access codes, etc.) can affect the value.
- Study guides and workbooks must be clean and complete.
- An instructor or department may specify buyback criteria on any given book.
What dollar amount will be paid?
Different factors determine the price paid for a book:
- If the Bookstore is buying a book and it is a current edition, 50% of the NEW selling price will be paid, even if you purchased it used.
- If the bookstore is buying a book and its future use is unknown, the price is dependent on the market value and will range from 20% to 50% of the NEW selling price.
- If the Bookstore has no need for a book, a used book vendor will pay the wholesale market value for the book, which ranges from 1% to 33% of the national retail price.
Does the bookstore guarantee all books will be bought back?
We LOVE to buy books from students; unfortunately, not all of the books you buy will be used the following semester, so we are unable to guarantee that all books you purchase will be bought back. Some books may have zero value or an edition change. The amount you receive for your books will be determined at the moment you sell them back. As the buyback progresses, the value may change. TIPS: Sell your books as early in the buyback as possible. Use a pencil to highlight. Keep your books in as good of condition as you can. Read them, but love them.