The Federal Government and the Minnesota Office of Higher Education fund the work study programs.
The work study programs provide part-time jobs for students with financial need. If hired for a work study position, the student will be paid an hourly wage bi-weekly for the hours worked. The beginning hourly wage for the 2023-2024 school year is $14.00 an hour.
The hours a student may work depends upon the student's financial need, class schedule, and the job. Jobs are located on-campus, and off-campus with public or private non-profit agencies which have made arrangements with South Central College.
Eligibility for the work study program includes:
- Enrollment of at least six credits
- Completion of the Work Study Application
- Completion of the FAFSA and eligible for work study funds
- No academic or financial aid holds
Work study employment is also available during the summer. Whenever possible, students are assigned to positions in their field of study or interest.
- Complete the online Work Study Application (available positions are listed on the first page of the application).
- Financial Aid Office will then determine eligibility for work study and add the amount to the "Awards" page on the student’s eServices. Please note that a work study award does not guarantee employment.
- Contact supervisor for position(s) of interest
- If hired, set up appointment with Financial Aid Office to complete the following paperwork:
- Work Study Agreement – stop by Financial Aid Office to pick this up prior to appointment and have supervisor sign this prior to meeting with Financial Aid Office
- W-4 MN Employee Withholding Allowance
- W-4 Federal Employee’s Withholding Certificate
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification- need two forms of identification for completion of this form
- Data Security Form
- A work authorization will be set up for you and then you’re ready to start working. The set up of the work authorization may take up to three business days.
If you have any questions regarding work study, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
1225 Third Street SW, Faribault, MN 55021
Phone: 507-332-5805 FAX: 507-332-5888
North Mankato Campus
1920 Lee Boulevard, North Mankato, MN 56003
Phone: 507-389-7220 FAX 507-389-7419