South Central College is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (Minnesota State) of public two and four year institutions of higher education designated by Minnesota Statutes Chapter 136F and governed by the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State College and Universities. South Central College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC). If you wish to file a complaint about South Central College with the HLC, you may do so by contacting:

Higher Learning Commission
230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1413

Complaints can also be directed to:

Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Ste 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227

South Central College takes student complaints and grievances seriously. If you have a complaint about SCC, we encourage you to utilize the Institution's Student Complaint and Grievance Process provided in Minnesota State Board Policy 3.8 and System Procedure 3.8.1 by completing and submitting a "Student Complaint/Grievance Form". If your grievance involves a Board Policy, the actions of the South Central College President, an issue of institutional or program quality such as an institution's compliance with the standards of an accrediting or licensing agency, or a claim of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practices, you may appeal to the Minnesota State System Office pursuant to the above policy and procedure. The contact information for the Minnesota State System Office is:

Academic and Student Affairs
Minnesota State System Office
Wells Fargo Place
30 7th Street E, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55101-7804