Earn your bookkeeper certification online. Bookkeeping forms the backbone of every organization's need to carefully account for its financial activities. It accounts for sales, purchases, and payments that flow through an entity. Bookkeepers are crucial to every organization and certified bookkeepers are the elite of their profession. This 100% online course will prepare you for certification by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
Certified Bookkeeper FAQs
What does the bookkeeper role involve?
Bookkeepers serve on the front lines of a person, company or organization's financial health. Strong bookkeepers set up, deploy and manage systems that record the flow of funds into and out of an entity's coffers. Using reporting tools and systems, bookkeepers help individuals and operational managers stay aware of and improve an entity's financial status and performance.
Hasn't technology replaced bookkeepers?
Technology has had a huge impact on the bookkeeping field. However, the bookkeeper's underlying organizational skills and precise attention to detail are as valuable as ever to their employers and clients. Programs like QuickBooks® or Microsoft Excel® have widely replaced the manual entry functions of traditional bookkeeping. However, the organization, reporting, and use of financial data still rely heavily on human input and processing.
Is certification important for bookkeepers?
Certification in any profession signals to employers, colleagues, and clients that a professional is committed to the highest standards of excellence and accountability. Certified bookkeepers meet the AIPB’s highest standards for financial accounting, business practices and ethical conduct.
How do I become a certified bookkeeper?
To earn your AIPB Certified Bookkeeper designation, you must pass the AIPB certification exam and be able to submit proof of at least two years of full-time or 3,000 hours of part-time experience.
Is bookkeeping a good option for remote work?
Because bookkeeping relies heavily on technology and can be done almost entirely using digital tools, it is considered an excellent prospect for remote, contract, and work-at-home career opportunities.
- Prepare to take and pass the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB) certification exam
- Understand eligibility requirements, code of ethics, and maintenance requirements for bookkeeper certification
- Apply the concepts of accrual accounting to transactions that span fiscal periods and trace the effect of accrual and deferral transactions
- Record book and tax depreciation, using various methods of calculating depreciation
- Perform basic payroll duties, including paying wages, handling payroll deposits, and reporting taxes
- Know how to value inventory, record costs, make entries and report inventory on financial statements
- Use basic internal controls to prevent theft, embezzlement, or check and credit card fraud by employees, customers, or vendors
This course is designed for experienced bookkeepers with at least two years of work experience in bookkeeping or accounting.
- Becoming a Certified Bookkeeper - Eligibility requirements, code of ethics and certification maintenance
- Accruals, Deferrals, and The Adjusted Trial Balance - Why accruals, deferrals, and other adjustments are made; recognizing revenues collected in advance and expenses after a prepayment
- Correction Of Accounting Errors and The Bank Reconciliation - When and where accounting errors occur and how they are discovered; finding and correcting errors on the unadjusted trial balance
- Payroll - How to pay different types of employees; federal and state wage-hour law
- Depreciation - The difference between book and tax depreciation; depreciation under GAAP
- Inventory - General concepts of accounting for inventory; the perpetual, periodic, FIFO, and LIFO methods
- Internal Controls and Fraud Depreciation - How to prevent or spot theft of inventory and other non-cash assets by employees; preventing employee theft, embezzlement, or fraud by hiring the right personnel
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.