South Central College - Customized Workforce Education is an approved test site for the Minnesota State Registry Test and this competency exam for Nursing Assistants (NA) meets state and federal OBRA requirements.
There are two parts of the Nursing Assistant Registry Test – the Virtual Knowledge Test and the Skills Test. You must register for and pass both parts in order to be certified and listed on the Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry. Download the NEW Minnesota candidate handbook to learn more.
Test Schedule and Registration
You must register for both parts of the test in advance. Walk-in testing is not available. If you have not completed an approved training program within the last two years, you can register as a Challenge/Test-Out candidate during registration. See upcoming test dates.
Registration fees, which include both SCC administrative and Headmaster fees, are as follows (as of January 1, 2022):
- Skills Test - $145
- Virtual Knowledge Test - $70
ADA/disability accommodation requests for the NA registry test must be submitted with required documentation and approved by the test vendor Headmaster at least 14 days in advance of your test date. Use the online Accommodation Form to request accommodations and submit documentation. For ADA questions related to NA testing, please contact Headmaster at 888-401-0462.
If you have not completed a MN state approved NA training program within the last 2 years, you are still eligible to test as a Challenge candidate. When you register for your test(s) at southcentral.edu/natest (link), you will be asked whether you are a Challenge candidate or if you have completed a program. After you register as a Challenge candidate, we will set you up in the testing platform TMU and schedule you for your test events approximately 1 week before the test date.
Skills Test Overview
The Skills Test is offered at both the Faribault and North Mankato campuses. During the Skills Test, you will be asked to demonstrate a set of randomly selected MDH-approved nurse aid skill tasks for an RN observer. You will find a complete list of skill tasks in the candidate handbook. You will be allowed a maximum of thirty (30) minutes to complete your three or four tasks.
Virtual Knowledge Test Overview
The Virtual Knowledge Test is completely online and will take place off-campus at any location of your choosing (home, office, public library, etc.) You will need an internet-connected laptop or tablet to access the online test AND a smart phone or other mobile device to connect to Zoom with a virtual RN proctor. The Knowledge Test consists of seventy (70) multiple-choice questions in English. An Oral Test is also an available option, which you can select once you're registered and in the system. You will have a maximum of sixty (60) minutes to complete the test.
- You do not need to take the Knowledge and Skills tests on the same day.
- You do NOT need to come to campus for the Knowledge Test. This part is completely online and can be taken from any quiet location with an internet-connected laptop/tablet and mobile device.
- You DO need to come to campus for the Skills Test to demonstrate hands-on skills. You will receive an email with details about where to go and when to arrive on campus for your assigned test time.
- ADA accommodation requests must be submitted with required documentation and approved at least 14 days advance of your test date. Refer to the candidate handbook.
- The testing site and testing teams are not responsible for your personal belongings.
- If you fail a test, you will need to register for a new test date and pay again.
- If you are late, do not bring the required mandatory ID, or are otherwise unprepared, you will not be allowed to test and will be considered a no-show. No-shows forfeit their testing fees and must register and pay again for another test date.
- You must provide one form of ID that meets the following mandatory requirements: US GOVERNMENT-ISSUED, NON-EXPIRED, SIGNED, PHOTO-BEARING ID. Refer to the candidate handbook for examples and exceptions.
- If you are unable to access your TMU account, go to https://mn.tmutest.com, click Forgot Password and enter your Email. If you need further assistance, please call Headmaster at 888-401-0462.
Preparing for the Test
- Get a free knowledge test question of the day and a 10-question online practice test at www.hdmaster.com.
- You may also purchase complete practice tests that are randomly generated, based on the state test plan from www.hdmaster.com.
- Watch free NA Skill videos at http://www.healthforceminnesota.org/students/students-nursing-assistant-skills-skill-videos.html (If you are asked to log in, enter Nursing as both the user name and password. N is capitalized in both.)
- Download and review the Minnesota Mock Skills.
- Review the vocabulary words in the Minnesota candidate handbook.
- You must cancel or transfer your registration by calling 507-389-7203 at least 5 business days before the exam date. No refunds will be provided after this point.
- You will incur a $15 fee each time you cancel or transfer your registration, regardless of reason or date.
- Do not remove yourself from the test event in TMU. You must call 507-389-7203 in order to cancel your registration and get a refund, if applicable.
- IF YOU ARE LATE and/or DO NOT BRING REQUIRED MANDATORY ID, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TEST AND YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED A "NO-SHOW". No-shows forfeit their testing fees and must repay to re-register for another test date.
For testing questions, please contact: